Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts


Have I mentioned that I hate paying taxes and medical bills?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Real Estate market may be running on empty, but my photography business is taking off! I got a lot of compliments on my website, and even more importantly... I already got booked for some jobs! God is good!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love words. I collect them like beautiful bits of sea glass on the beach. I love the way they taste on my tongue, or when they are so powerful that they explode with a small pop inside your mouth. Clavicle, Rendezvous, Chivalry, Whisper, Chaos, Extrapolate, Persnickity, Zealous... there are millions more. They can be complex, concise, commonplace… but always beautiful.

For the last 12 years I have kept a quote book, a gift from my friend Rosalie. In this prized possession of mine, I meticulously copy down quotes that move me or strike me as poetic truth. I gather these quotes from books, teachers, speakers, poetry. Often I find myself poring over them, absorbing their magic.

Seeing as words and quotes are so important to me, I thought I might make an effort to share some every now and then…


"And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth."
-Raymond Carver, "Late Fragment"

"To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, and to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!"
-Emerson

"And as you sit on the hillside or lie prone under the trees of the forest, or sprawl wet-legged on the shingly beach of a mountain stream, the great door, that does not look like a door, opens."
-Stephen Graham, "The Gentle Art of Tramping"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you know that I have volunteered with Big Brothers, Big Sisters of America for 3 years. My wonderful little sister Elisa is an important part of my life and she fills my heart with laughter.


Well, Elisa needs your prayers. Someone called CPS and claimed that Elisa was getting abused. They interviewed her mother that is on probation, her ailing grandmother who is her guardian, Elisa herself, and they will interview me. I am not concerned for Elisa’s safety. I know she is not getting physically abused, but that doesn’t make this situation any less serious. She could be pulled away from her home, her school, her friends, and from me. Please say a quick prayer for Christ to protect this child.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read my Chrysalis post, then you know that Easter Sunday was my first due date. A day I should have held a child in my arms instead of searching for answers and meaning like a child searching for eggs. Indeed, I was sad. But my Faith sustained me. After all, both the empty tomb and my empty womb were part of God’s plan. And I trust Him implicitly.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I will pray that things go well!

And, I'm so happy that your photography business is taking off! That's great!

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits