Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wonky Sperm, Meet Crappy Blood


Nurse Cratchet can kiss my a$$. My beautiful friend Kristin has volunteered to kick her butt, and I'm considering this kind offer.

There is something a little wrong with me, but nothing so dramatic that I needed to use protection and worry myself sick. Stupid Nurse.

Today my RE explained that I have 2 blood clotting disorders. (both treatable, but doesn't thrombophilia just sound awful?!)

The first is MTHFR. Methylene-tetra-hydro-folate-reductase is an enzyme found in the cells of our body. It is needed to metabolize homocysteine, an amino acid found in the proteins you eat. Elevated homocysteine levels have been associated with fetal neural tube defects and miscarriage. An elevated homocysteine level can also indicate a increased risk factor for blood clots, arteriosclerosis (hardening of arteries) and strokes in both men and women.

There is no cure for MTHFR mutation. If you have the mutation, that's the way your body is made. You can, however, lessen any risk factors you have by taking B vitamins, Folic acid and baby aspirin in doses prescribed by your doctor. By taking these agents, you can lower your homocysteine levels and therefore your risk for the conditions above.

I have two copies of MTHFR. But, the doc was not overly concerned. I need to take a crap load of folic acid. Prenatal vitamins have about 500 mcg of folic acid, and I need about 10 times that much per day for the rest of my life.

The second red flag was from the Protein S test. My results came back elevated at 146. (But my homocysteine level is normal, and that is good.) This is also an issue with clotting and coagulation. If there are clots in my blood and my uterus, the fetus cannot grow properly. So, the very second I find out I am pregnant, I will need to take a baby aspirin everyday and give myself daily heparin shots to ward off any clots.

So... the doctor is very reassuring that we will conceive without much trouble and that the folic acid, aspirin, and heparin shots will give us a very good chance of delivering a baby to full term. (though more miscarriages and problems are of course possible)

Skip and I feel positive and are glad to have an Answer. Yes, I believe that should be capitalized. We have our Answer and we can now move forward with a plan of action!

As Adorable Loving Husband and I leave the RE's office and get in the truck...


Me: "Phew! I feel better. I can handle this."

ALH: "See, I told you not to worry."

Me: "It's still scary."

ALH: "Baby, let's focus on the positive... no more condoms!"

Me: "Amen to that!" {we high five and go on our happy little way to lunch}


Speaking of lunch... to celebrate our Answer and Cinco de Mayo, we had booze and Mexican food! (the beer is mine and the frilly strawberry margarita is his!)


7 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness! Y'all.make.me.laugh.

Amy said...

Chelsea!!

I am SO sorry you are having to go through all of this. I love how well you seem to be doing despite the struggles you have been having. You go girl!! I am praying for you and Skip that this next pregnancy is the one you have been hoping for. Hang in there and know I am thinking of you.

Love,
Amy

Kristin Kneupper said...

I will SO take Chris out for you! No one would suspect the pregnant woman with the broken foot, right?!

Jessica said...

There is nothing worse than drama queen nurses. whew!! Glad to hear the bad news wasn't as bad as what you were thinking.

And what is the deal with manly man husbands drinking fruity drinks?? My husband loves them...it cracks me up!!

I think you should let Kristin show that nurse who is boss!!

Anonymous said...

hey, I can never check this at school, but glad to know more about what is going on! anyway my friend kelly, seriously has the same blood clotting disorder!!! but great news!!!!!! she IS pregnant!!! she is in her 20th week, and is having a little girl! she does have to do the daily heparin shots and gets naseaus after every meal, but again SHE IS PREGNANT! Cowen and I are thinking positive thoughts for you and your ALH!!!

Anonymous said...

oh that last comment from me, april, i dont know how to do this!

thenewsestnewsome said...

I have just found your blog. I have had 9 m/c's and also have high protein S (122) but no one has ever commented on this being a problem, they said only LOW Protein S was an issue, any insight on what HIGH does? I look forward to reading more of your blog...

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits