Friday, August 14, 2009

"I'm Doing Good."

Most of you know that bad grammar drives me crazy.

I don’t claim to be perfect, but I do my best. (I give myself some lee-way on this informal blog)

I’ve been lovingly (I think) called “the grammar police.” I’ve edited a novel and worked for a magazine. I love words… and using them correctly. Consistent grammatical errors and poor spelling makes you look ignorant and uneducated.

I can’t stand phrases such as:
“Where are you at?”
“With who?”
“It’s to expensive.”
“Me either.”
“She literally ate a cow.”
“I’m doing good.”

The only way to “do good” is by doing charity or good deeds. And I am.

I believe in the phrase from the Bible that says {paraphrased} “To whom much is given, much is required.”

Shouldn’t we all share the blessings in our life?

My parents raised me to give freely and joyfully. They were blessed, so they bestowed these blessings upon everyone they met. My family has always set an excellent example.

I, in turn, enjoy giving to others, and believe it to be very important. However, I don’t have much money. So I give of my time. And my heart...

For three years I have been a volunteer with Big Brothers, Big Sisters of America. Last month was the two year anniversary of my little sister, Elisa, and I being matched together.



Elisa comes from a complicated family life, so I fill the roles of mentor, friend, confidante, tutor, and big sister. I help her with problems at home, trouble at school, issues with friends, tough questions about life, etc.

I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes I’m really busy. Or money is tight. Or I just don’t feel like driving to New Braunfels. But I always do… and I’m always thankful.

I promised an hour a week to Elisa, but it usually turns into more. She is kind, grateful, outgoing, and inspiring. I’m her mentor, but I always learn something from her, as well.

She doesn’t care if didn’t put on make-up, or if we just go to the park so that we don’t spend money. She only cares that I care about her. And I do. I love this child.

I want to be there next year when she starts high school. I want to be at her graduation, her marriage, her first child’s birth. I share my life with her, and want to share my future.

I hope she is in my life forever, because she will always be in my heart.

But I don’t tell you these things to brag about my good deeds, or get a pat on the back.

I want to know how you give back to this beautiful world.

Or I want to inspire you to start giving back. Big Brothers, Big Sisters is a great way to volunteer and I highly, highly recommend it! But whatever you do, get out there and make a difference!

God is good, life is good.

I am infinitely blessed, so I give. I give, so I am infinitely blessed.

Join me.

2 comments:

Amy Strecker said...

How about the misuse of she/her, he/him and I/me? For example, "Her and I went to..." or "She and me went to..." or "Me and her went to..." It's painful to my ears.

I'm glad you're doing well and doing good. :)

Anonymous said...

Chelsea you are such a wonderful role model! I checked into BBBS in Fargo and there is a huge waiting list for women volunteers. Another organization that is great to volunteer with is Special Olympics. I do it every year and it is so rewarding!

Love ya! Heidi

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits