Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Medical Updates

Photobucket


I'm doing wonderfully. My blood pressure is great, my weight gain (15-16 pounds) is great, and things are going smoothly.

Kherington continues to grow and thrive. Her growth percentiles are high, and she was estimated to be five pounds this morning. The ultrasound shows adorable puffy cheeks and sumptious lips that are usually sucking on tiny fingers. We simply can't wait to hold her and kiss her.

The only news that isn't positive is the position of the placenta. I have Placenta Previa... but certainly not the worst case possible. The placenta is attached to the uterine wall very low, partly covering the cervix. This means that it would likely block Kherington's path into the birth canal. This can stall labor, or it can cause bleeding issues... which we certainly want to avoid.

In addition, we have an increased risk of placental abruption (dislodging from uterine wall before birth) or placenta accreta (growing into the wall of the uterus like a tumor, risking bleeding and hysterectomy) So while these things are long shots, your prayers couldn't hurt! We will be watching dilligently for any bleeding, which would require a rush to the hospital.

With all of this news, we've been told to prepare for delivery by Cesarean Section. It isn't set in stone yet... they will check the placental placement once more in three weeks (just in case it moves!)... but a vaginal birth is now only a slim chance. {Staying off my feet as much as possible could keep the baby off the lower uterus and placenta, giving it a chance to grow upward as my uterus expands... but she seems mighty comfortable down there!}

I'm a bit dissapointed. I certainly prefer a vaginal birth. But since this is a valid medical reason for a C/S and would be safest for both of us, I'm okay with it. Skip and I are trying to focus on the positives. A healthy baby is the goal, and we know God will be with us no matter what. We are in good hands, to be sure.

In three weeks we will know for certain, and can schedule the C section or the induction. Either way, we are about 30 days away from meeting our sweet girl!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so glad to read that everything is going well, minus the placenta previa business.

I had a c/s, which was elective because of the complications I was having. I'm here to tell you that everything will be fine!

I was terrified going into it, but really, everything went so smoothly. I will say that it was a bummer that I never went into labor, so I don't know what that's like, but McKenna got here healthy as can be, which was our ultimate goal!

I'll say some out loud prayers on my way home. I have TONS of time to do that sort of thing while I sit in Austin traffic :)

An Almost Stranger,
Jenn

Mel Bowman said...

I will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts! I had a c-section after 20 hours of labor. It's a very different type of recovery than a vaginal birth (so says a friend who has now done both) but honestly those first few weeks fly by so quickly that you'll hardly remember them, so focused you'll be on your little girl!

Bobbie said...

I agree with Mel's friend. While I myself much prefer the vaginal over c-section, I barely even remember how much a hated the c-section and it's only been 8 months. To me, the pro is much easier delivery overall, but the recovery from the C was worse for me. We'll talk more once you know for sure and I'll offer my opinions from experience. Top priority is a safe delivery for you and Kherington, whatever that means:)

Jessica said...

she is beautiful!

Sending some prayers in hopes for a natural birth! :)

Rosalie and David said...

so proud of you having an amazing attitude with everything! you're right a health baby and mommy are the ultimate goal! we will definitly keep you in our prayers, have a very merry christmas and a happy new year, love ya, ro

MoonNStarMommy said...

I'm so glad that everything is going well, other then the placenta issues. Those are extremely scary. My oldest was a vag birth, and my last 3 were c-sections because #2 was emergency classic cut and I didn't have a choice about birth options because of that. So #3 and #4 had to come c-section. I have to say that my c-sections were easier recoveries for ME then the vag birth, but it's not like that for everyone. IF you have to have a c-section I hope that it's easy recovery for you but we'll all pray for the placenta to move and a natural birth.

BTW - she is BEAUTIFUL!

sissy000 said...

So thankful that you two parents-to-be have such positive attitudes, believe in God's plans, and believe in the power of prayer! There are so many people praying for your new family!

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits