Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cloth Diaper Q & A

Wow! I've already had a lot of feedback about the cloth diapering post. Many of you are looking forward to the reviews, and that makes blogging so fun for me!

I also got questions via comments, phone calls, emails, facebook, text message, and in person! Let me see if I can answer a few of them now. (keep in mind that I'm no expert and am just learning as I go!)

Why don't you cloth diaper all the time?
Good question. The main reason is that I don't have enough diapers. I might be able to pull it off if I was always home and could do laundry more often. Also, sometimes disposables are simply more convenient. Finally, Kherington's daddy, grandparents, and future mother's day out teachers don't do cloth.

What kind of laundry soap do you use?
People have different opinions on this. I use Method Free & Clear or Tide Free & Clear. (same things I use for baby clothes) I also like Rockin' Green Diaper Detergent, and use it when I need to strip the diapers. (every once in awhile you give them a special soak to remove any buildup) The first thing I learned is that you don't need as much soap as you think you do.

Where did you learn how to do this?
Friends and the internet. There are a lot of good resources out there. Almost every site that sells cloth diapers has some instructions and information. These are good, too...
Cloth Diapering 101
Basics of Cloth Diapering
Wash & Care

Where did you buy your diapers?
I like to search the internet for sales. Some of my favorite sites include:
Cotton Babies
Franklin Goose
Diapers.com
Kelly's Closet

What about velcro v. snaps?
I thought velcro would be my favorite as it is easiest while changing da' baby. However, you must remember to snap down the velcro pieces in the wash or they catch on other diapers and wreak havoc. In my experience, they sometimes come loose even when I remember. They gather lint in them and become less effective. I know you can clean them out or replace them, but that sounds like a hassle. The velcro allows you to custom size more exactly than snaps... but it can also bust loose if baby is a mover and shaker.
I've found snaps to be a better choice. They stay put and I don't have to remember anything in the wash. However, it is annoying when baby is between sizes... not that this lasts long. Also, sometimes the extra leg snaps seem to dig into Kherington's legs. She has never cared, but it looks annoying.

What about the different styles?
Pocket, All in One, Diaper Covers, Pre-folds, Fitted, One Size... I know, it is overwhelming. I'll get into more of this in the reviews, but pocket one size are my faves.

What do I wish I'd known?
You can buy sampler packs, which allow you to try 3 or 4 different diapers while saving money. Some sites are final sales... but some let you sample them and then return the ones you don't like! (most sites sell second hand cloth diapers, too)
Once you know what you want, starter sets will save you money.

What else do I need to know?
Sometimes (especially when baby is below 15 lbs), cloth diapers seem really bulky and you will need roomier clothes for baby. Now that it is warm, I think Kherington looks adorable in just her cloth diaper!
Also, never use a regular diaper rash cream when using cloth! (you won't need to since rash will go away thanks to the breathability and lack of chemicals) It ruins the absorbency and wicking. If you must use something, also use a disposable liner over the cloth... or use a spray designed for cloth diapering.
The coolest trick of all is for breastfeeding moms. If your diapers (or clothes, blankets, etc!) get poop stains... put them out in the sun and watch stains disappear like magic!

I love your questions... please continue to ask away! If I don't know the answer, I'll find out!

Other cloth diapering mamas... I'd love for you to share your tips and tricks! (but save any reviews and favorite brands for the review post!)

No comments:

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits