Friday, April 23, 2010

The Diaper Dilemma

Photobucket

I never imagined myself to be the cloth diapering type.

It seemed so granola. So icky. Too much of a hassle. It was only for mothers who thought they were better than everyone else.

But I have to admit that I love it.

I cloth diaper about 50% of the time, mostly when Kherington and I are at home. There are a few reasons why I took the poo-poo plunge…

Cloth diapers are cute. Silly reason, right? Well, kiss Kherington’s adorably adorned a$$.

Cloth diapers save us money. Disposable diapers are roughly 34 cents each. That means that using a cloth diaper 64 times pays for itself. I’m at least halfway there, and Kherington is only three months old. With proper care, these diapers will last through potty training and for future babies, too. Experts estimate that parents spend about $3,000 on disposable diapers for each child. (not counting pull-ups)

Cloth diapers completely eradicate diaper rash, are gentle on sensitive bums, and are better at wicking moisture away from skin. Unlike disposables, cloth diapers contain no chemicals.

Cloth diapers are super soft and comfortable. Well, at least I think they are! The fabric is amazingly soft and Kherington always seems content and comfy. In my experience, they also mean fewer poopy leaks. (urine seems about the same)

Cloth diapers are future friendly! A disposable diaper takes about 450 years to break down in landfills. (diaper genie bags make this even worse) The average kid uses 7,349 diapers in their lifetime. This creates one ton of waste per year, per child. WOW!

Cloth diapers have come a long way. There are no more pins, no more folding (unless you want to), and no more hand washing. They make cloth diapers to fit from 8 pounds until potty training, saving you money and hassle.

Cloth diapering isn’t as icky as I imagined it to be. I don’t touch anything that I don’t touch changing a disposable. In fact, it works exactly the same way. I change her, and toss the used cloth diaper into a trash can lined with a scented liner bag. No rinsing or soaking necessary. No nasty smells. On wash day, I dump the diapers, liner bag and all, right into the wash. Easy!

Think cloth diapering is a hassle? Most moms constantly run to the store for diapers and take out the stinky trash often. I do one extra load of laundry. Simple as that.

So that’s why I’m a {part-time} cloth diapering mama.

When I began, I was overwhelmed with the multitude of styles and brands of cloth diapers. So I bought about 10 different styles and I’ve been testing them out. I know I’ve only been doing this for 3 months and am certainly no expert… but you know I love to share my opinion...

So… coming soon is a review of at least 8 types of cloth diapers, including the brands gDiaper, Bum Genius, FuzziBunz, and more! And I might even do a cloth diaper giveaway!

3 comments:

Kristin Kneupper said...

Cloth diapering mamas are better than everyone else! Kidding. Kidding. But I love it too. After diapering Kouper in cloth diapers for a year, the diapers needed a good stripping, and velcro re-do, but other than that they've been fabulous! I can't believe how many options there are out there. Even in the last two years (between Koup & Kylar) there've been so many new inventions! I love it! The diapering service was the best and it really spoiled me, I miss them a bit! Kudos to you for trying them out!! And Kherington could totally be a cloth diaper model!

Rosalie and David said...

so excited for your review, i have been researching cloth diapers a bit but there just isn't anything over here in any sort of way. so i'm thinking of stocking up when i come this summer, really looking forward to the money we will save and the better we will feel (about the environment). i was very very overwhelmed at the amount of products out there, and pretty much made up my mind on gdiapers, but i can't wait to hear what you have to say about the others. thanks! kisses to kherington!

Jessica said...

I can't wait for the reviews...I just may give it a try!!

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits