Sunday, July 25, 2010

Letters to Kherington


KherBear,

I cannot believe you have been in my life for half a year.


Sometimes it feels like you were just born yesterday. But mostly it feels like we have known each other forever.

I cherish how intimately I know you. I anticipate your needs. I understand your cries, your expressions, and your squeals. I can conjure up your sweet milky breath, regardless of where I am.

I know that the moment I put your right arm into your pajamas, you are going to put it in your mouth. I know that you will sneeze after we walk into the sun.

I know I could pick out your diaper amongst 20 others. I know that my sniffle will wake you from a nap, but that you will slumber on through the smoke alarm.

I know the beautiful sensation of your mouth and your chubby hands on my breast like a bull horn.


I know about the stork bite under your hair that nobody else knows about and only I get to kiss.

I know you. I adore you.

My world is better with you in it. My smile is wider, my heart fuller, my eyes brighter. You and your father have undoubtedly made me the happiest woman on earth.
I am happy as your Mama.

I love myself more for having carried you.

I love your Daddy more because our love created you.

I love you more than I can ever express. You were worth the wait.

These short, sweet, six months will one day be a blur in our life story. But please know, Kherington, that I savored each and every minute. Not a moment went by that I didn’t thank God for you. Nor will one ever.

You are just beginning to explore our world and find delight in the simple complexities of God’s creation. It’s a blast, exploring with you.

I want to introduce you to butterflies and explain the magic of rainbows. I want to see warm summer rain kiss your cheeks and giggle at your first dance moves. I want to show you the inherent good in people and teach you how to pray.

I want to read your creative writing, take you on your first roller coaster, and watch your puppet shows. I want to play hop-scotch and see the ocean in your eyes. Oh, to see the ocean sparkle in your deep blue eyes…

Kid, we are going to have a ball, you and I.

Love Always,
Mommy





Dear Kherington,

Happy 6 month birthday! You have grown so much in this short amount of time. I am so impressed that you are sitting up on your own and have developed such an amazing and happy personality.

Your growth has been in leaps and bounds to me since I have been gone for training for my new Allstate office. It seems every week that I come back home you have learned or discovered something new.

I can’t wait to watch you learn to crawl, walk and talk. I look forward to introducing you to many firsts in your life and watching those big beautiful eyes that are filled with so much emotion and wonder light up as you discover all that the world has to offer.

Your first fishing trip, the first time you go horseback riding with me, and your first sport, all of these will be special moments in my life and I hope yours too.

With all the good, I know there will also be some bad times as well. When your first boyfriend breaks your heart, when a pet dies, or any other time that you feel hurt in this world, I want you to know that Daddy is here. I may not be able to take the pain completely away, but hopefully I can help you deal with it and learn from each situation.

I can’t imagine that I could love you more than I do right now, but I thought that about your mother as well and I love her more today than I did yesterday.

Happy half birthday again, and remember that I love you and I am here for whatever you need, just bat those pretty eyelashes at me and I will give you the world!

Love,
Your Daddy

3 comments:

Jenni said...

oh! that post should have come with a "get your tissues" warning!

Beautiful!

KrisKay said...

Skip - don't worry - I won't let Kylar break her heart! :)

I love these letters! She will treasure them forever!

6 months already... can't believe how fast it goes.

sissy000 said...

Thanks for the early morning tears from both beautiful letters! Kherington has some loving parents!
Sissy

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits