Monday, October 25, 2010

Godly Character

Today I was sitting in my car {pumping milk} when I saw a man come out of Subway and start through the parking lot towards his vehicle.

He was carrying his drink. But as he made his way through parked cars, he looked around to see if anyone was looking, and not seeing anyone, dropped his trash onto the ground and kept walking.

I know this seems like a fairly benign act, but I was shocked and disgusted. And it got me thinking...

It has been said that character is who you are when no one is looking.

If you only do what is right when you are being observed, then your righteousness is a fa├žade. It's what you do when nobody is around, when nobody will ever know, that reveals who you really are.

That's a humbling thought.

Most of us, myself included, like to think of ourselves as "basically good people." Yet sometimes we do things that we know are wrong, and we continue deceiving ourselves.

Proverbs 21:2 says "All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart."

It seems to me that this is why worship songs and prayers ask God to change our hearts and make them pure.

None of us are perfect. We need to invite Christ into our hearts so that we may set a good example for others.

Especially our children.

Sometimes we tell our kids one thing, and do another when we think they aren't watching. We teach them to help the less fortunate, or tithe, or to follow the 10 Commandments, and then fail to hold ourselves accountable. We expect more of them than we expect of ourselves.

How disappointing.

We set out to raise our children right and to be positive role models. We expect them to live pure, honest, Godly lives. But sometimes we slack in our expectations of ourselves.

Parents, if anybody, should know that we are always being watched.

Today I'm conversing with Christ. I'm praying and I'm making an effort to remember that good, Godly character is something you are, all the time, no matter what.

He put this reminder on my heart today and I'm listening.

Maybe you needed a reminder, too.

Our children are watching us live, and what we are shouts louder than anything we say.

2 comments:

KrisKay said...

This rings so true with me and what's going on in my life right now! I am definitely not perfect, but I've witnessed some adults lately who could benefit greatly from this blog entry. Thanks so much for sharing!

I have witnessed the exact thing with the trash, except it was shoved under their car. I was appalled, and dumbfounded. I am pretty sure that I sat there with my jar dropped open...

Sometimes I think of this same theme when I see parents in public slapping their children etc. I only pray that it's not worse in their own homes.

We need reminders like this daily... to stay on the right path!


Psalm 18:32, "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." (NIV)

sissy000 said...

What a beautiful entry! Love, Mom

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits