Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letters to Kherington

Dear Kherington Grace,

Baby Girl, It is the first anniversary of your birth.

For years we prayed and longed for you, and finally, blessedly, you burst into our life with love and laughter and twinkling blue eyes. And you changed everything.

Our first year as a family will always play in my memory with a soundtrack of giggles, coos, and tiny, scampering footsteps.

So much has happened in twelve short months.

Your olive complexion has become a creamy white alabaster that flushes when you sleep. Your tiny legs became chunky thighs and then wobbly walking legs. My yearning arms became a safe haven, where everything is made right again. Your hungry rooting instinct became an adamant request for “milk” in sign language. Your sleepy blue eyes became bright and curious and impish. Your chubby, kissably round cheeks became… well… some things stay the same!

At least once a day I tell you that you are amazing. I am in awe of your intelligence, your jovial personality, your development, your beauty. I am dumbfounded that you came from me and will be mine forever. You amaze me.

It has been a privilege watching you grow. With each new milestone, I swell with intense pride. A little silly, since millions of babies learn the same things every day, but I don’t care. You’re mine and you’re amazing and I’m so very proud of you.

With each passing day, Kherington, every month since you were born we have fallen, better yet, risen more deeply in love with you.

You changed everything and made me new. You made me a Mama, the thing God always meant me to be. Your Mama.

Happy first birthday. I love you so much, Kherington Grace.

You are amazing.

But you’ve heard this all before. And you will hear it all again. Tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that one, too.


Love Always, Mommy


--------------------------------------------------------------------



Dear Kherington,

I have enjoyed the past year so much. Watching you learn to crawl, walk, and babble has been a real joy. I am amazed at how much you take in without us really knowing it.

You got a bouncy horse for your birthday, and the first day I asked you where your horsey was and you pointed to it and walked to it. I was so proud. One of the things I look forward to the most in the next year is riding on a real horse with you.

I still enjoy our afternoons in the recliner watching sports. After your birthday party, we watched the Longhorn basketball game together, just like we did right after you were born in the hospital.

I love how you want to share your food with me, and how you blow kisses to me when you’re going to bed. Your smile always brightens my day when I get home from work; you are always happy to see me.

I love you so much, I can’t wait to see what the next year brings.

Love, Your Daddy

No comments:

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits