Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Love of Learning


Meet Ms. Phyllis, Kherington’s pre-school teacher.


As KherBear’s second “semester” is well underway, I thought I would give you an update since this post on her very first, heartbreaking day.

Then, I worried that I would miss too much and hate leaving her each day. But, I needn’t have worried.

Kherington loves school and has never once cried or clung to me. She goes willingly to Ms. Phyllis and plays happily with her friends. Ms. Phyllis has been in the infant room for 18 years, so I certainly don't have to doubt her abilities.

For a few short hours 4 days a week, they play, learn, read, do crafts, sing, go to worship with the older children, eat, and nap. She is there 20 hours a week, about 6 of which she is asleep. Most children of working parents are in day care at least 50 hours a week. I don’t think I could stomach that, so I’m extremely grateful that what we have works for us.

I love that she has someone else stimulating her brain and feeding her creativity. I love that she is social and comfortable and loved. I love that she is part of the church family.

When I pick her up each day, she is always happy to see me but not always eager to leave.

And my biggest fear when she began? I worried I would miss the important stuff, the memorable milestones. But that was silly; those few hours when I dash off to work don’t even compare to the hours of one-on-one quality time that she and I get in the afternoons and the rest of the week. Every big milestone has been at home, with her proud Mama cheering her on.

I used to think that the best place for a child was always at home with her parent. But I have to admit that Kherington being in pre-school is really good for her. It has opened her mind and allowed new experiences. Don’t get me wrong, if I had the means I might choose to be a stay-at-home-mom/photographer, but I’d still send her to pre-school… just two days a week instead of four. But we do what we need to do, right?

If I have to be at the office, I’m so glad that someone is reading to her and teaching her about God.

I am so grateful to have this affordable Christian learning environment for her that I feel completely comfortable with. God always provides for us, doesn’t He?

No comments:

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits