Monday, February 14, 2011

V Day

I’m a hopeless romantic.

I’m in love with love.

And I’m madly in love with my husband.

But I don’t do Valentine’s Day.

Ever.

We don’t exchange gifts or do anything special.

It just seems too contrived to me, too commercialized.

I don’t want my husband to tell me he loves me on February 14th because society says he should. I want him to tell me every day, because he wants to.

I don’t want $75 red roses on V day. I’d prefer a fistful of wildflowers on a random Tuesday because they made him think of me.

I don’t want a fancy candlelit dinner out with the rest of America. I’d prefer a cozy dinner at home with my daughter throwing food on the floor and the dogs begging to lick our plates.

I don’t want a mushy hallmark card that he didn’t write. I’d prefer a heart drawn in the foggy bathroom mirror.

I don’t want a fancy date night. I’d prefer a dance with my husband in the kitchen to the rhythm of Kherington’s laughter.

I don’t want chocolate covered strawberries… wait, yes. Yes, I do. I always want that.

1 comment:

KrisKay said...

There is nothing sweeter than seeing your child receive their first valentine(once they can first understand what it is). All the innocence and pure joy of receiving a tiny piece of paper. At church on Sunday a little girl gave Kouper a sweet valentine and he was so excited! THAT made my valentine's day this year!

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits