Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Reviews


LOVE IT
Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

I've never been into the frilly pink princess crap. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against cherishing your daughter or reading fairy tales. But I don't want my girls growing up thinking only heels and diamonds make you beautiful or that they need a man to rescue them in order to be happy.  I enjoyed this glimpse into the disgustingly commercialized world of little girls today.  Let's remember the kind of women we want to raise and make smart decisions.  I'm all for dress-up, imaginative play, and reading... but you might find me gently steering my girls away from all the Disney crap on the shelves.



LIKE IT
Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay by Stefanie Wilder Taylor

This is a cute collection of first-baby stories and new mom lessons.  I enjoyed it and got quite a few laughs. I found myself nodding along, thinking "yep, so true!"  Mainly it made me kick myself for not writing it myself.  I'll pass this book along to pregnant friends and then I'll read her next book: Naptime is the New Happy Hour and Other Ways Toddlers Turn Your Life Upside Down.



HATE IT
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

Ugh... Where to begin? The authors might be skinny (I don't know for sure), but that happens to be the only thing that qualifies them to write this book.  They make many unsupported claims, and most of them I disagree with.  Their blunt writing style is meant to be funny, but just strikes me as haughty and persnickety. They shun pretty much everything yummy... alcohol, sugar, starches, meat, animal products, milk, etc.  About the only thing I agreed with is their support of breastfeeding.  A diet of tofu, celery and water? No thanks.  You may be skinny, but you're a bitch because you're hungry.


*Photos "borrowed" from Amazon.com.  So sue me.

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

I know some fat bitches too though! LOL! Seriously, when do you have time to read?!

Katherine said...

HILARIOUS reviews!!!! I'm getting the Cinderella one to read!! I have the exact same sentiments!!!

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits