Thursday, October 4, 2012

An OMG Society


There are three words you will never hear cross my lips.

Nor is anyone allowed to say them in my presence. Two are the epitome of hate and intolerance.

And one of them is "Goddamnit."

I even hated typing it.

It is an ugly word, completely uneccesary and it takes our Lord's name in vain.

It is an immature way to express anger and it is a sin. Plain and simple.

I would never allow my children to say it.

Personally, I don't even say "Oh my God!"  or "Jesus!" or "Good Lord!" to show shock or surprise.  These are certainly more mellow, but they feel almost as ugly. They aren't serving any purpose and they fail to glorify God.

So in a world of OMG... what do we teach our children? I don't want mine to say "Oh my God!" or "Jesus!"  or "Holy cow!" in that way. 

And I would prefer they don't even say "Oh my gosh" or "geez." 
They are ingrained in our everyday vernacular and while on the surface those words seem pretty harmless and benign... the root is the same. 

To me this manner of speech is disrespectful to our Savior. It makes a teenager sound bratty and uneducated. It is everywhere... but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Shouldn't we use our voices to PRAISE God? Aren't we always in the spotlight as fishers of men?

Is it feasible to keep those words/phrases out of my home when they are so prevalent in society?  Can I effectively steer them towards "Oh my goodness" and "wow" and "good grief?"

Am I overreacting? Too prudish? I don't want to be so restrictive that they rebel against me. But raising Christians is my most important job and I don't take it lightly.

So I'm curious, fellow Christians, what say you?

What do/will you allow in your home?

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

"GD" makes my skin crawl and makes me want to vomit. I can't say or type "OMG" either. I am guilty of "Oh my gosh" occasionally though. I think you're right, when you say that "GD" is a sin, but as far as anything else, I think it's up to you where you draw the line. I don't like any "cuss words" and don't allow them in our home and certainly not around our children. Not only are they not glorifying to God, but like you pointed out, just as a matter of grammar (we know how we feel about grammar:)), I think they sound ignorant. I personally don't need a "swear word", to fill my sentences or get my point across.

Search This Blog

Get our Updates by Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

People that think they know me

credits